Competent authority for accepting applications: Department of Forestry of Sichuan Province
1. Written application report from the host unit, cooperating institution or intermediary agency, which shall include:
a) basic information and background information about the aliens or foreign institutions;
b) valid documents verifying the purpose of the proposed activities;
c) the purpose, meaning and background of the proposed activities;
d) information about the Chinese partners involved;
e) the area into which the aliens intend to enter (core area, buffer area, or experimental area);
f) the plan of the activities, including the itinerary or schedule of the activities, the activities’ participants, time, place, routes, form of the activities, tools that are carried along, personal belongings, living arrangements, etc.;
g) if any specimens of wild plants not under key preservation by the state but under key preservation by Sichuan province are to be collected, the list of specimens to be collected shall be submitted;
h) (if any) data and assistance needed from the administrative body of the nature reserve;
i) impact and its extent of the activities on natural resources and natural ecosystem in the nature reserve; and
j) the ownership and scope of use of the results of the proposed activities.
2. Agreements for the reception of the aliens, cooperation or intermediary service;
3. Opinions of examination issued by administrative authorities of foreign affairs at or above municipal (or prefectural) level where the host unit, cooperating institution or intermediary agency are located.
◆Place to file the application
Address: Administrative Services Center of the People’s Government of Sichuan Province, No.2 Caoshi Street, Chengdu
Contact: (028) 86954035 83364614
◆Conditions for approval
1. The proposed activities shall comply with relevant regulations of the state and Sichuan province in relation to foreign affairs administration;
2. Relevant host units, cooperating institutions or intermediary agencies shall have corresponding qualifications;
3. Such activities of the aliens in the nature reserves as field studies, collection of specimens, and photo-taking or filming may not jeopardize national natural resources, natural ecosystem or national security, and shall comply with China’s relevant regulations in relation to the protection of biological species.
1. Item 27 of the Attachment 3: Catalog of Items of Administrative Approval the Authority for which is Delegated to Administrations of Lower Level of the Decision of the State Council on the Third Batch of Cancelled and Adjusted Items of Administrative Approval (GuoFa (2004) No.16, May 19, 2004) provides: “The authority for approval for aliens to enter national nature reserves is delegated to competent provincial administrations for forestry.”
2. Article 13 of the Measures for the Administration of Nature Reserves of Forests and Wildlife (approved by the State Council and promulgated by the Ministry of Forestry, July 6, 1985) provides: “entities and individuals who intend to enter nature reserves for the purpose of scientific research, teaching and student field study, sightseeing and investigation, film-shooting and mountain-climbing shall obtain consent from competent administrations for forestry at or above the level of province, autonomous region or municipality directly under the central government. Any department, organization and entity shall obtain consent from the Ministry of Forestry in respect of making any agreements with foreign parties in relation to national nature reserves or guiding any aliens to national nature reserves for the purpose of relevant activities; where local nature reserves are involved, the consent from competent administrations for forestry at the level of province, autonomous region or municipality directly under the central government shall be obtained. Any entity or individual shall abide by these Measures and other relevant regulations when engaging in the foregoing activities in nature reserves and pay fees for protection and administration.”
3. Article 31 of the Regulations of the People’s Republic of China on Nature Reserves (Order No.167 of the State Council, October 9, 1994) provides: “the host unit shall obtain prior approval by the competent authorities for nature reserves of the people’s government of the province, autonomous region or municipality directly under the central government before arranging for aliens to enter local nature reserves. Where the destinations are national nature reserves, the host unit shall obtain prior approval by the competent authorities for nature reserves of the State Council.”